Acanthosis Nigricans – Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Acanthosis Nigricans is a medical condition that affects the skin and it is often characterised by hyperpigmentation. The skin disorder is known to cause thick, dark (light brown to black) velvety patches on different parts of the body such as the neck, armpit, groin, body folds, skin creases and under the breast.
Medical experts say that it affects both men and women and especially those experiencing obesity. In addition, diabetes and the release of extra insulin in the body can also lead to this disease. Although it is not a dangerous or contagious disease consulting a doctor for Acanthosis Nigricans diagnosis and treatment is highly recommended.
If you are living in Powai and have dark thick patches on the skin, do not hesitate to seek medical help. People suffering from this disease often feel embarrassed and some even isolate themselves. Also, it has been noticed that people mistake it for dirt or stain and consider scrubbing it off. However, it may not be helpful. It is important to know that there are possible solutions for Acanthosis Nigricans. Treating the condition at the right time can restore the normal colour and texture of your skin.
Dr. Pallavi Sule is one of the best skin specialist doctors in Powai, Mumbai who has helped scores of patients with skin problems successfully. Contact us today for an appointment.
Symptoms of Acanthosis Nigricans
Some of the symptoms of Acanthosis Nigricans that you may experience include:
- The discolouration is on top of the list of symptoms. Light brown to black skin patches become visible on your body.
- You may experience an unusual feeling that your skin is velvety in nature
- The thickness of the skin may occur over time along with the increase in dark patches. Skin tags or skin growth that sticks out of the body may also happen.
- Itching sensation on the dark patches increases as the disorder intensifies.
- Foul-smell on the skin patches is one of the symptoms observed in many patients
- This condition may develop gradually in the body
If you notice such changes in your body and in different body parts as discussed, seek urgent medical attention for a faster diagnosis. It is important to find that the skin condition is not due to some underlying health condition. Once it is satisfactorily confirmed that it is due to a skin disorder, visit the best dermatologist doctor in Powai for treatment.
Causes of Acanthosis Nigricans
Acanthosis Nigricans can affect healthy people. But at the same time, it can be related to some medical conditions. Some of the commonly known causes include:
Hormonal Imbalance – Insulin is a hormone which helps in processing the sugar content in the human body. The hormonal imbalance that results in insulin resistance can cause type 2 diabetes. As a result, the patient may experience Acanthosis Nigricans.
Obesity – An increase in insulin levels in the blood can cause obesity which in turn can lead to the development of Acanthosis Nigricans.
Certain Medicines – Doctors believe that certain medicines like birth control pills and steroids or supplements can also cause Acanthosis Nigricans.
Congenital disease – It is also considered a congenital disease if you are born with it.
Heredity/Genetics – If family members or your parents had this condition, it can possibly cause the same medical problem in you.
Growth Hormone Therapy is also a cause.
Please note that the fast development of such symptoms may be a sign of cancer, although it is rare. Therefore, it is essential to seek medical help immediately. Best cosmetic dermatologist doctors in Powai can examine, test and diagnose if it is indeed a skin problem or not.
Acanthosis Nigricans and Complications
Some of the complications found with Acanthosis Nigricans are cosmetic disfigurement of the skin in different parts of the body which can cause emotional trauma. Moreover, it is considered a possible risk factor for diabetes.
Acanthosis Nigricans Treatment
Dermatologists can diagnose Acanthosis Nigricans by looking at your skin. For further investigation, blood tests and other tests may be recommended to cross out other medical conditions that may cause the skin disorder. However, if you want to treat the colour and texture of the skin, medical specialists can help in the following ways:
- Creams, lotions, gels or ointments will be recommended by doctors to lighten the colour of the patch caused by Acanthosis Nigricans.
- Laser treatment options are available which are highly productive and help in reducing skin thickness.
- Antibiotic medicines and soaps will be advised to minimize the foul smell on the skin.
- Other treatments may be suggested such as medicines or retinoids to make the skin better.
- Dermabrasion and UVA procedures may also be advised for Acanthosis Nigricans.
Looking for the trusted Best Dermatology Clinic in Mumbai?
Dr. Pallavi Sule is one of the leading and trusted dermatologists and cosmetologists in Powai, Mumbai. She is a highly qualified doctor with many years of experience in treating patients with skin disorders and associated problems. Get in touch today for details regarding treatment procedures, appointments, fees etc.